Welcome to Get Up in the Cool: Old Time Music with Cameron DeWhitt and Friends. This week’s friend is Alex Kramer. When we recorded this I really didn’t know anything about him, but I knew that I liked his playing quite a bit and I perceived him to be a bit of an eccentric. I’ll let you be the judge of that. We were unable to come up with an official theme for our jam, but here’s a sampling of what you can look forward to in the next hour:
- We play Isham Monday’s Old Time Fire on the Mountain
- I have a moment of pride when I successfully make it through a particularly squirrely tune
- Alex explores the obstacles of starting your own religion
- I make the following cultural references and take their ubiquity for granted:
- Kristen Wiig, the Transporter movies, PT Cruisers
- And at one point, Alex says, “Come on, old paint, lets get up this hill.” And for some reason, I can’t stop thinking about it.
All that’s to say, this one’s a real mix-tape, musically and conversationally, but it’s all good, and I’m glad you get to be a fly on the wall for what is essentially our first of hopefully many hangs. Stick around after the interview to find out how to hear more of Alex’s music, how to support Get Up in the Cool and where to listen to this week’s Bonus Track.
Alex Kramer, everybody. Enjoy!
5 Mile String Band:
Support Get Up in the Cool: